RSPCA cupcake day encourages people to bake cupcakes to sell to friends, family and colleagues. Funds raised are donated to the RSCPA to help them to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home animals.
Because I have had my arm in plaster for the past six weeks I haven’t been able to register to bake and sell cupcakes. But I have already seen a sign up at work advertising cupcakes for sale so I will just have to buy some as my way of contributing.
These Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cupcakes are delicious. The chocolate in the cupcake and frosting tones down some of the sweetness from the vanilla. They are a light and fluffy cupcake and are easy to make.
You don’t need to make two different batches of cake mix for these. You just make a batch of vanilla and then take some of the mix out and add a mixture of cocoa and water to it.
I had grand plans of also making a chocolate and vanilla swirl frosting. I thought it might remind me of a stripey dog or cat. But I had enough trouble just doing the chocolate with my arm in plaster. So stay tuned for a multi flavoured or coloured swirl frosting coming up on the blog sometime soon.
- 1⅔ cups plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (115 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup thickened cream
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 250 grams butter, softened
- 2½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup thickened cream
- Turn on the oven to 180 degrees C (fan-forced). Place cupcake liners in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder baking soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until light in colour and texture.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add in about a third of the flour mixture then about half of the milk and cream. Repeat ending with the flour mixture until all combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the cocoa and boiling water. Take a cup of the cupcake mixture and add to the cocoa mixture and combine.
- Alternate placing spoonfuls of the vanilla cake mix and the chocolate cake mix into the cupcake liners until about ⅔ full.
- Swirl the mixture with a skewer our toothpick
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Cupcakes are ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting with Chocolate Frosting.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, one cup at a time, mixing until well combined between each cup.
- Add the cocoa and mix to combine.
- Add the thickened cream to reach desired consistency.