This Chocolate Caramel Slice is super simple and totally tasty! With layers of chocolate, caramel and more chocolate you will not be able to resist.
This week Mr My Sunday Bakes told me he was getting sick of cupcakes and suggested I bake something else. My first reaction was to disown him because really, what kind of person ever gets sick of cupcakes! But after giving it some further thought I conceded, it would be nice to bake something a little different.
It doesn’t get too much simpler than this Chocolate Caramel Slice. No oven is required, just the stove top.
There are three layers to the slice.
The bottom is a chocolate biscuit crumb mixture. To make the crumb I placed the biscuits inside two freezer bags and crushed them with a rolling pin. You could crush them in a food processor but this creates too much washing up for my liking and you miss a great opportunity to take out your frustrations.
The second layer is the caramel. If you are a lover of condensed milk you will love this. Don’t tell my mother but my brother and I were known to eat condensed milk straight from the tin or tube when we though mum wasn’t looking.
This layer simply consists of condensed milk and butter. You need to stir these over the stove for about 20 minutes. The mixture will thicken and turn a golden colour. Speaking of my mother, this is where she would lose patience after a few minutes (see my recipe for Caramel Cheesecake Cupcakes for more on that), but stick with it and you will eventually see a noticeable change in consistency.
- 250g chocolate biscuits, crushed (I used chocolate ripple)
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 50g unsalted butter
- 200 grams dark chocolate melts
- ⅓ cup thickened cream
- Line a 20 x 20cm tin with baking paper.
- Melt the 100g butter in the microwave and mix in with the crushed biscuits.
- Spread the biscuit mixture into the tin and press with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator while you make the caramel layer.
- Place the condensed milk and 50g butter in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and turns golden. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Spread on top of the biscuit layer and smooth out. Don’t worry if you get biscuit crumbs in the caramel, they will be hidden when the chocolate layer goes on.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. If needed, continue microwaving and stirring at 10 seconds intervals until melted and combined.
- Spread over caramel lay and smooth with a knife.
- Set in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
- When ready it is easiest to cut the slice with a hot knife to avoid the chocolate cracking.