To celebrate I thought I would make a beer cupcake. I’m not really much of beer drinker but I don’t mind Corona with a piece of lime or lemon so I thought I would try Corona cupcakes.
I had made a rule for myself that I wouldn’t put cupcakes on my blog that I didn’t like so I wasn’t really expecting these to make the cut. But I was pleasantly surprised to try one of these Corona Cupcakes and find that it was quite enjoyable. The Corona flavour is only subtle, but it is there. The lime gives the cupcakes a nice refreshing flavour.
Having never made a beer cupcake before, I had a look online for some inspiration and decided on an adapted version of these Loaded Corona Cupcakes from Endless Simmer.
So what do you think of the idea of beer in a cupcake? Are you game to try these Corona Cupcakes with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting?
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup corona, plus a little more to brush on top of the cooked cupcakes
- zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75 grams butter, melted
- 250 grams cream cheese
- 60 grams butter
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Turn the oven on to 180 degrees C (fan-forced). Prepare 15 cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- In a bowl, mix together the sifted flour, baking soda and sugar.
- In a separate large bowl, hand mix the eggs, milk, corona, lime zest and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring in between each addition to combine.
- Once all the dry ingredients are combined with the wet ingredients, add the melted butter and stir until just combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the 15 prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes. Cupcakes are ready when a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While still warm, brush each cupcake with a small amount of the remaining corona.
- Cool cupcakes before frosting with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until well combined.
- Mix in the lime juice and zest.
- Gradually add the icing sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.