Welcome to my first blog post and the first week of winter.
For me, there is only one good thing about winter – sitting in front of the fireplace with a cupcake, a cup of tea and a good book. At all other times in winter I say, BRING ON SUMMER!
So after thinking long and hard about which of my favourite cupcakes would star as the first on my blog I decided to go with a warm, comforting Sticky Date Cupcake with Caramel Sauce. Oh yeah, perfect for eating in front of the fire.
- 180 grams dates, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 80 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour, sifted
- 125 grams unsalted butter
- 80ml thickened cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Turn the oven on to 180 degrees C (fan-forced) to preheat and prepare a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- Simmer the dates and water in a saucepan until the dates soften and the mixture thickens.
- Take the dates mixture off the heat and stir in the baking soda. The mixture will bubble when you do this.
- Stir in the chopped butter until melted and combined.
- Stir in the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar then fold in the flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes until the cupcakes spring back when touched on top.
- You can either drizzle these cupcakes with the caramel sauce and eat while still warm or allow them to cool before spreading the caramel sauce on top.
- Put the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. .
- Once the butter is melted add the cream and the sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved allow the mixture to boil for 2-3 minutes then take off the heat and allow to cool.
These sticky date cupcakes are perfect on a cold winter night. They can be eaten cold just as they are but, warming them up in the microwave takes them to the next level.
My tip is – remove the cupcake liner from the cupcake. Place the cupcake on a microwave safe plate that you will eat the cupcake off. This is important – you will see why in a moment. Microwave the cupcake for about 20-30 seconds. As it warms, the thick caramel sauce will melt and drip down the sides of your cupcake and onto the plate. Eat while warm, making sure to soak up every last drizzle of the sweet caramel sauce. Oh and if you want to be really decadent, a scoop of ice-cream wouldn’t go astray.
Don’t forget, if you try these cupcakes leave me a message below to let me know what you thought. Do you prefer to eat them warm or cold?
If you like this recipe why not take a look at more of my delicious cupcakes.