This vanilla buttercream frosting is a really light, fluffy frosting for your cupcakes. It would be great on all sorts of flavoured cupcakes. You can use a little, or if you’re like me, you will probably want to use a lot. It is quite sweet though and does have quite an intense vanilla flavour.
- 250 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 3 - 4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2- 3 tablespoons thickened cream
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, one cup at a time until 3 cups have been added, mixing until well combined between each cup.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt and 2 tablespoons of the cream.
- Depending on your desired consistency add the remaining one cup of icing sugar and/or one tablespoon of cream. Adding the icing sugar will make it thicker, adding the cream will thin it out.
If you preferred you could add a little less vanilla extract. Try adding one teaspoon, testing and then maybe another, if you don’t like a really strong vanilla flavour.
Vanilla buttercream frosting can be fun to colour, just to add to the interest of it. You can colour your frosting whatever colours you like, or leave it plain.
In the picture here, I have used Americolor’s Electric Green, Electric Blue and Electric Purple. The last one has not had any colour added to it.