This Cookies and Cream Brownie Cupcake is best described as a brownie in a cupcake liner. It is dense, gooey and chocolatey and I hate to admit it, best eaten in small doses.
Today’s bake is all about experimentation. I found a cookies and cream brownie recipe from Kirbie’s Cravings which looked amazing, but since I didn’t make cupcakes last weekend I really wanted to try to turn this brownie into a cupcake. I thought about adding a raising agent and turning it into a more traditional cupcake, but who said there have to be rules about what a cupcake should be like.
This one, well it is very dense, a little bit gooey and crunchy on the outside.
You can taste the white chocolate more than the cookies. That’s not a bad thing because I love white chocolate but I would put more Oreos in next time.
After baking the cupcakes and tasting them I wasn’t going to make a frosting for these. I thought it might be too much with the denseness and the rich white chocolate but I couldn’t do it. Cupcakes need frosting of some sort.
I also wasn’t going to do frosting because I still had my right hand in plaster (I’m right handed) so I wasn’t sure if left handed piping would work out so well. It isn’t that pretty but better than I expected. At least most of the frosting actually ended up on the cupcakes.
Given the denseness of these cupcakes I would recommend making them as mini cupcakes rather than full size. I didn’t have enough ingredients to make them again in the mini muffin tin but perhaps try cooking them for about 15 minutes. As usual, test them by inserting a skewer but remember that these are meant to be a little bit gooey in the middle like a brownie so the skewer will not come out entirely clean.
- 120g butter
- 175g white chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups plain flour, sifted
- 7 Oreos, broken
- 175 grams unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons thickened cream
- 5 Oreos, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (fan-forced) and line a muffin tin with 10 cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. To do this heat for 30 seconds then stir. Continue heating and stirring in 30 second increments until melted.
- To the melted chocolate mixture, add the sweetened condensed milk, salt and egg and stir until well combined.
- Fold in the flour to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the Oreos, again being careful not to over mix.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake cases. These will not rise much so fill them almost to the top.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until cupcakes bounce back when pressed on top.
- Allow to cool before topping with frosting.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time mix between each cup.
- Mix in the cream. Add more or less depending on your desired consistency.
- Mix in the Oreos.
- Pipe or spread on cupcakes.